amjs金沙国际

Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
      FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Searching for a specific type of song!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
    Author
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbrozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Searching for a specific type of song!
        Posted: April 28 2020 at 21:59
    Hey fellas,

I'm a long time fan of progressive music as well as 60s/70s psychedelic folk rock type stuff. Every now and then I stumble upon a new song that fits this "vibe" that really resonates with me. I'm looking for more of that!

Basically, if I were to attempt to describe it a little better, it's when a band nails a track with one foot in the folksy, singer songwriter "laurel canyon hippie vibe" - you know, stacked vocal harmonies, acoustic guitars, etc - and the other in the progressive rock tendency towards very interesting or unique progressions and song structures. 

Two examples that come to mind right away are "I Talk To The Wind" by King Crimson and "Aspirations" by Gentle Giant. Another that definitely has the vibe but isn't strictly prog is "Deja Vu" by CSNY.

Just yesterday I finally stumbled into "Nothing at All" from Gentle Giant's self titled and I was blown away. That song arguably fits the bill more so than the others mentioned above.

Got anything that comes to mind that would fit in just right with these tracks?

Edited by dbrozz - April 28 2020 at 22:01
    Tapfret View Drop Down
    Forum & Site Admin Group
    Forum & Site Admin Group
    Eclectic / PSIKE Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 22:22
    As long as you are heading down the Gentle Giant road, have you heard Funny Ways?

Also check out Gnidrolog - Time and Space. Unfortunately it the only song off "In Spite of Harry's Toenail" that does not have an individual YT vid that plays in the US. Maybe you can see it in canada.

progmatic View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 22:23
    The entire McDonald & Giles album. "Woodsman" by Atlantis Philharmonic. "Cadence and Cascade" by King Crimson.
    PROGMATIC
    dbrozz View Drop Down
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbrozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 22:34
    Tapfret,

I'm pretty familiar with a good chunk of GG already but for some reason the debut has always slipped thru the cracks. Seshed the whole album today and so yes, I heard this and do recall really enjoying it! I think I had just overlooked it after hearing Nothing At All LOL

Ill be checking out Gnidrolog, thanks!

progmatic,

thanks for the recommendations! I'll have a listen and report back Thumbs Up
    dr wu23 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 22:37
    I like that type of sound also...hard to name it....those are all nice atmospheric songs.
    I thought of this right away..they must have heard Nothing At All before they wrote their track.
    Circus...Plus One...1973

Spring...1971

Moody Blues 
    you must know these two...but I simply love these two..had to post them...

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
    Haquin
    Tapfret View Drop Down
    Forum & Site Admin Group
    Forum & Site Admin Group
    Eclectic / PSIKE Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 22:39
    Originally posted by dbrozz dbrozz wrote:

Tapfret,

I'm pretty familiar with a good chunk of GG already but for some reason the debut has always slipped thru the cracks. Seshed the whole album today and so yes, I heard this and do recall really enjoying it! I think I had just overlooked it after hearing Nothing At All LOL

Ill be checking out Gnidrolog, thanks!

That's hilarious because I forgot Nothing At All was on the debut as well. Wacko
    dr wu23 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 22:47
    One last song...a favorite....

Haquin
    Progosopher View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 23:18
    Laurel Canyon hippie vibe? You mean like Joni Mitchell, Mamas and Papas? Perhaps some of the British Prog Folk bands led by women would fit the bill - Fairport Convention with Sandy Denny comes to mind first. Pentangle. Illusion or the first iteration of Renaissance. Heck, even the second iteration.
    The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
    dbrozz View Drop Down
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbrozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2020 at 23:43
    Tapfret,

haha! No worries mate, still a great recommendation. 
    As for Time and Space - not available for me either, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else..

progmatic,

Woodsman and Cadence and Cascade were both fantastic!
    I had a feeling I recognized McDonald and Giles.. Giles Giles Fripp? I'll have a proper go at it when I have the time to listen straight through.

dr wu23,

thanks for all of the recommendations! the Cirkus track has some pretty clear similarities to Nothing At All, particularly in the opening section. 

Grail was fantastic, going to have to listen to that a few more times for sure. And as far as the Moody Blues, I owe them a lot more time. I've only just started heading in their direction. 
    Traffic.. this is getting real close to what I'm looking for. The main riff almost gives me a Comus vibe, which is fantastic, for different reasons LOL.

Progospher,

Definitely Joni Mitchell. I'm a huge David Crosby and Neil Young fan as well (all of CSNY.. really), Michael Hedges, Bruce Cockburn, Byrds, Beatles etc.. they all have numbers that fit the bill. 

It's almost like I'm after the songs where the 60s/70s folky, psychedelic pop rock acts meet prog, and the progressive groups meet folk/psychedelic. What exists on that blurred line is a very magical sound.

I'll have a listen to your recommendations! Renaissance is already on the radar, I'll bump them up the line.

Edited by dbrozz - April 28 2020 at 23:45
    Awesoreno View Drop Down
    Forum Groupie
    Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 01:10
    If you're looking for some tight harmonies, Chicago is great. Yes, they have many horn rock moments, which may or may not be your cup of tea. But the vocal harmonies are superb. They have a track off of Chicago III called Flight 602 which always made me think of CS&N. It's part of a larger suite on side 2 called the Travel Suite, you'd probably enjoy that whole thing. And if you're digging I Talk to the Wind and Cadence and Cascade, you'd like a bunch of their softer stuff off of II and III.
    Sagichim View Drop Down
    Special Collaborator
    Special Collaborator
    Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 01:49
    First couple of bands I immediately thought of are early Strawbs and Braclay James Harvest.
    Strawbs has a lot of this try their early stuff like actually the whole Dragonfly or From The Witchwood albums 

Barclay James Harvest also has those kind of vocals a lot try this for example

It's A Beautiful Day

Manuel View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:22
    Try "White Bird" by "It's a Beautiful Day."
    TerLJack View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 08:27
    Have you heard Gypsy?

or Rare Bird's "Epic Forest?"

That might be pretty close to what you're looking for (and you most likely haven't heard).
    AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:00
    Check out this song called "on the wings" by Citay. I don't know much about this band but I heard this on the radio a little while ago(independent college radio). However, it's from 2007 apparently(so not nearly as old as most of the others on here). However, I thought this was really good and might fit the bill of what you are looking for. Too bad it's so obscure(they aren't even on this site(PA)). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWjfRtsMqf4

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 29 2020 at 15:02
    Snicolette View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:23
    Have you tried this one? Sally Oldfield "Waterbearer."  

Edited by Snicolette - April 29 2020 at 15:25
    "Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
    Cristi View Drop Down
    Collaborator
    Collaborator
    Crossover Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:25
    dr wu23 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:28
    Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Try "White Bird" by "It's a Beautiful Day."

That's a classic of west coast psych/folk rock....

Thumbs Up
    Haquin
    fronobulax View Drop Down
    Forum Newbie
    Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fronobulax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 15:54
    Hi,
    It strikes me that you might like Harmonium. "l'Heptade" is their proggiest...also lots of stuff by Reneaissance! I love the sound you're describing...What about "Entangled" by Genesis?
    Mascodagama View Drop Down
    Collaborator
    Collaborator
    Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 16:05
    Try this:

Pure psych rather than any overt prog but I feel you may dig it. Great song.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 29 2020 at 16:17
    Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
    Bandcamp Profile
    dr wu23 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 17:53
    You like Comus..try this...

Haquin
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic