autobahn-r
<form id="pprpp"><legend id="pprpp"></legend></form>
<video id="pprpp"><tr id="pprpp"><p id="pprpp"></p></tr></video>
    <sub id="pprpp"><dd id="pprpp"></dd></sub>

amjs金沙国际

Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
      New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which One Do You Wish You Were There With Me?
      FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which One Do You Wish You Were There With Me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
    Poll Question: Per the subject With so many choices, multiple answers allowed.
    Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
    10 [10.20%]
    3 [3.06%]
    7 [7.14%]
    3 [3.06%]
    5 [5.10%]
    3 [3.06%]
    2 [2.04%]
    4 [4.08%]
    5 [5.10%]
    4 [4.08%]
    5 [5.10%]
    1 [1.02%]
    4 [4.08%]
    2 [2.04%]
    4 [4.08%]
    7 [7.14%]
    3 [3.06%]
    2 [2.04%]
    2 [2.04%]
    4 [4.08%]
    1 [1.02%]
    2 [2.04%]
    3 [3.06%]
    7 [7.14%]
    5 [5.10%]
    You can not vote in this poll

Author
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which One Do You Wish You Were There With Me?
        Posted: May 03 2020 at 08:49
    These are great concert memories from my teen years mostly.   Some of the venues I was too young to be in but I had long hair and I think I looked older than I was.  Plus carding was really lax until they started jacking up the drinking age.  I wasn't there for the drinking anyway.  I was there for the music.  Ironically the only time I ever got turned away was when I was 18 and the age had been raised to 19.

All of these were in the Atlanta area.  I picked the earliest show where I there is an artist I had seen multiple times.  The Dixie Dregs show was likely but possibly not my first one of many many many I saw back in those days before they broke up for a while. I had 31 in my spreadsheet so far and a few without stubs and just a vague memory like Fred Frith's Skeleton Crew on tour with Zeena Parkins, possibly as early as 1984 or as late as 1986.  I do remember buying a copy of Speechless and Learn To Talk after the show but the band wasn't at the stand for autographs Cry  

Another one I remember but no stub for was Alan Holdsworth a punk rock club called 688.  I don't know how he got booked there.  Probably by someone who didn't know Atlanta very well.  But for that one I got to meet the band backstage and get autographs.  I also go to meet Stephane Grappeli when he played at Chastain Park Ampitheater at his trailer out back.

Shows in my spreadsheet but left off - 
    John Abercrombie - The Point 1/27/1987
    Eric Johnson - Center Stage Theatre 12/6/1988
    Grateful Dead - The Omni 4/4/1991
    Adrian Belew - The Variety Playhouse 6/3/1994

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 03 2020 at 14:09
    Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member
    VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 09:17
    Peter Gabriel.....One of my regrets not seeing him in the 90s, when his live show was such a production. Although in the 90's I did not see many shows as we were in family mode.

Genesis would be another for sure, especially in 1980.
    Rick1 View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:09
    There's a lot in your list where we overlap.  I wished I had seen more of the ECM roster as you have done - for me the only time was Gateway with John Abercrombie, Jack DeJohnette and Dave Holland in 98 and Jan Garbarek in 93.  PS: I love Anderson's 'Animation' - would have loved to have seen that tour...

Edited by Rick1 - May 03 2020 at 10:10
    Manuel View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:10
    Except for Santana, I wish I had seen them all.
    Lewian View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 10:21
    Not many of them are really for saying "no", however I saw quite a few of them in those days (starting from 80/81). One that I've never seen and I'd love to see is Oregon, so I picked them. I restricted myself to only one because ticking more than 50% is pointless. Obviously I wouldn't miss an opportunity to see my fav King Crimson line-up again, but as in fact I saw them in Europe around the same time (together with Genesis) I don't tick them either. Fred Frith I always see when he's around.

Edited by Lewian - May 03 2020 at 10:21
    Progosopher View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 12:58
    To be honest, I would have loved to have been there with you for all of those shows - too many for me to vote for each one. An "All of the Above) would be pertinent for me. Without the dates, artists I have seen from the list:

Kansas
    Santana
    King Crimson (twice)
    Steve Hackett (twice)
    Pat Metheny
    Return to Forever
    Yes (six times)
    Oregon
    Ponty (twice if you include his tour with RtF)
    Jethro Tull (twelve times)
    Fripp and the League of Crafty Guitarists
    Holdsworth
    Peter Gabriel (twice)
    Pink Floyd

Handshake
    The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
    geekfreak View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 13:13
    Bruford `79 
    Today Tomorrow Yesterday Or Next Week...same spat different day!
    sometimes someone will pi** you off...trust in yourself
    verslibre View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 13:18
    I saw Tangerine Dream in '88 in San Diego!

I would've loved to see a few other shows on the list, but that Shadowfax & Michael Hedges double-shot would've been something special!!!

Edited by verslibre - May 03 2020 at 19:31
    verslibre View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 13:19
    Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Why not? Santana was still on a roll. Marathon is a great record.
    Barbu View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 15:14
    Metheny
    Mormegil View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 18:49
    Hackett, followed by Gabriel.
    Welcome to the middle of the film.
    Slartibartfast View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 19:01
    I was a little bummed that for the Bruford show Holdsworth wasn't in the band but the Unknown John Clarke had replaced him.  I just wiki'd the GGT album and it turns out he was a student of Alan's and recommended by him as his replacement.  A Great show and I think my first one of several great shows at the Agora.
    Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Man With Hat View Drop Down
    Collaborator
    Collaborator
    Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 19:11
    Most of these are a little past the prime of when I would have liked to see them.

Either KC or FZ...ill go the former this time. 
    Dig me...But don't...Bury me
    I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
    Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
    iluvmarillion View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 21:00
    I'll take the Bruford and King Crimson because I don't think either has been to Australia.
    iluvmarillion View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2020 at 21:03
    Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I don't know what Santana was like in 1979 but he was brilliant in 1973.
    b_olariu View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 01:04
    Kansas, Dixie Dregs and Genesis
    moshkito View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 05:32
    Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Peter Gabriel.....One of my regrets not seeing him in the 90s, when his live show was such a production. Although in the 90's I did not see many shows as we were in family mode.

Genesis would be another for sure, especially in 1980.

Hi,

Saw him on his first tour right after GENESIS ... and it was a nice show, but honestly ... it was not great, and I was not impressed, although the band behind him (I think it was Random Hold) that opened the show was far better and more interesting. However, the information on this seems to be spotty and different. So, I'm not sure who was backing PG then.

I think that PG got better on stage, however, you can see it on the DVD's ... the music is far better defined and played than it was the first time he toured and show I saw.
    ... none of the hits, none of the time ... now try finding your own mirror/art! www.pedrosena.com
    twosteves View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 08:25
    Bruford!  Still Love those albums.
    TerLJack View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 08:45
    Originally posted by Rick1 Rick1 wrote:

PS: I love Anderson's 'Animation' - would have loved to have seen that tour...

We may be one of the very few.  I met Jon when he played Pasadena a few years after this record and told him how much I loved Animation.  That's what he said to me.  "One of the very few."

I had a chance to see a few of these artists in their prime.  Crimson, Gabriel, Genesis...

Steely Dan and Gentle Giant would have been amazing too!  I missed them somehow.
    SteveG View Drop Down
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2020 at 08:45
    One more for Bruford!  Smile
    This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic